Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Quarter of Bangalore


A Quarter of Bangalore



Its been 3 months in Bangalore, and I am yet to make this place home. Slowly getting used to the way of living here but I guess its a long way to go. While the best part of Bangalore remains the awesome weather, it takes a while to get used to day to day life here. Language barrier is not much, just add an “aa” to the end of english words and its mostly correct. Directions are now given in 3 keywords Leftaa, Rightaa, Straightaa.. 

The traffic here is one of the worst I have faced in life. I borrowed a motor bike from a friend here and have been exploring the city on it. Initially, I used to patiently wait in the traffic, but the practice here is for the bikes to ride on the pavements.. Pavements, that hardly exist so its like a dirt bike ride every morning to work. 

Days when I have got plans after work, I try to take an auto ride. I guess the autos must be running on solar energy, as the moment the daylight goes off the auto fares shoot off the roof. Any time between 7 to  8 pm is a standard 20 bucks more than meter rate and goes to double the rates after 12.00 in the night. Once I actually got an auto who was open to go by meter after  9.00 pm and I got in thinking I am lucky.. of course I should had expected the meter to be tricked to charge me almost double the regular price. Now I am used to negotiating the rates before boarding and anyone who agrees to go by meter rate, I run!

While I was used to doing all the household work myself in Singapore, I had to spoil myself in bangalore by appointing a maid. I had no clue how much the maid would control my life. Now after 3 months, I am no more capable of doing household work myself, and I feel absolutely handicapped when she doesn’t turn up. And best of all, we now have this special bonding where we don’t have to use words to communicate. Of course the main reason for the bonding is because she doesn’t speak hindi or english. 

The first time I went out on a weekend to a club, thought it was a good idea to get there early. I got there at 10, and the bar was full, there wasn’t a space to stand. While I just started warming up suddenly the lights come on! 11.30, its time to close!!! I got out, and there were cops flinging their batons driving party crowd away and emptying the space. So when going out any evening in bangalore you can’t have a dinner and drinks plan. Either you go dine or go drink.. there is no time to do both! 

I am as adaptive as always.. so the new moto in life is.. When in bangalore do the bangalore way madi!


5 comments:

  1. If you have only been told to go "Leftaa, Rightaa, Straightaa..", you have been lucky so far...

    I have been told,go straight up, straight down :-o ; dead end, left/right on 100/80/60 feed road, double road...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @hozefa.. I have no clue what you are talking about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha.... I enjoyed reading this and can relate to most of it ... esp the directions used by them. Its funny. U will learn more of them and Anup, auto drivers will charge u regular fare if u ask them in Kannada... Try out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mrudula.. How do you expect me to know Kannada?? I guess I am destined to be ripped by the auto guys here.. I'll live with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah this auto guys always drove me crazy when I was there.one exp worth sharing...once he asked me to share an auto with the guy with predecided fare.both me n that guy refused.o started walking away. auto stopped beside me and autowala asked me do I do this while going by airoplane?I snapped does ur auto fly?morons :)

    ReplyDelete